The Grand Fireworks Display
of the Medieval City
Every 14th of July
The Medieval City of Carcassonne sets on fire !
A grandiose and unique show! Fired from the Medieval City, the Carcassonne fireworks are the world’s most famous event, attracting hundreds of thousands of people every year. It has become one of the most famous and most beautiful fireworks displays in France, lighting up the city’s sky every year since 1898. Come and watch this extraordinary and unforgettable show.
The show is filled with the most fashionable pyrotechnics: golden rain, butterflies and whirlwinds, hearts and smiley faces, palm trees, stroboscopic stars, and much more…! The fireworks are fired at around 10.30pm but we advise you to arrive at least 2 hours early.
The Gran Fireworks in 2023 has plenty of surprises in store for you!
Discover soon the theme of this new edition of the “Embrasement de la Cité!” But already concerts planned in the city for a festive evening.
On the programme for the evening of 14 July:
6pm – Place Carnot : concert by Guy Lacroux (musette)
10.30 pm : Fireworks from the Medieval City
11pm – Place Carnot : concert by the group WISEM (BEATLES Covers)
Good to know
This show is free, there are no stands or seats to reserve.
To attend the fireworks show on the evening of 14 July at 10.30pm, and to be able to park without too many problems, we advise you to arrive in Carcassonne at the end of the morning or beginning of the afternoon at the latest. You can park in the large pay car parks near the City. Then, if you are in the Medieval City, you need to walk down to the city centre (20 minutes on foot) as you can watch the fireworks from the banks of the river Aude, or from the bridges over it, which face the city.
Think of the train too! Special trains are available from Toulouse and Limoux to attend the show. You will find information on trains, travel and parking below.
FAQ Special Fireworks
We answer your questions
Is there a charge for the show?
- No, it is totally free.
- There is no reservation possible, nor is there a stand to admire the show.
Can we see the fireworks from the old bridge ?
- No. for safety reason, the Old bridge (Pont vieux) is not accessible during the fireworks.
Where can we park to see the fireworks ?
- Due to thousands of people gathered for the Fireworks, it is difficult to get around by car. We advise you to park your car in one of the city’s car parks and to walk.
How to get around on the evening of the grand Fireworks Display ?
- Concerning traffic and parking, a municipal decree (in french) is communicated by the Town Hall a few days before the event. We still advise you to limit your car movements as much as possible.
Is there a Fireworks on the 15 August and 31 December ?
- No. The City of Carcassonne only offers a firework display on the 14th of July each year.
Top 5 places to see the Fireworks
- Lie down in the grass on the banks of he Aude river and admire the show.
- Play Robinson Cruzoe and venture out to find a sport on the island of the City with a clear view of the Medieval City.
- Meet up with friends on the Pont Neuf and enjoy the view
- Get a good view of the fire from the Grazaille district.
- Take it easy at the Belvédère d’Auriac rest area (Narbonne-Toulouse direction) and let the magic happen.
The Traffic Plan
To ensure that as many people as possible can enjoy the show, certain streets and car parks will be closed to traffic and parking.
Please take this information into account when planning your visit.
We advise you to get around on foot on the evening of 14 July, and prefer public transport.